June 11, 2012

The One That Started It All

While there are many instances that led to this blog, the catalyst is an innocuous black dress.  Supposedly a staple in every woman's closet but hear you me: as a Muslim women, a black dress is not the item found 'round the world.  When one of my best friend's asked me to be her maid of honor, I excitedly said yes (of course!).

The only thing of the entire MOH experience which was a challenge was the search for a bridesmaid dress: a simple, formal black dress.  It's the black dress I spent a solid 4 months searching for last year - enlisting a myriad of friends in the process - which ultimately led me to create Greater Lengths.  The promise to you is to make your American style and fashion search a more enjoyable and less anxiety-inducing experience.

Happy anniversary to my sweet friends on their first anniversary and congratulations to me for finding the perfect black dress!  (I won't lie, I looked smashing!)

In honor of my (now perfect) black dress, I give you the (first annual) black dress post.

The black dress of the year goes to this beauty.  Coming in at under $60, the top of the dress has some drama with the ruffles.  The neckline can be pulled up to be adjusted to sit higher under the decollatege.  With a cardigan over the arms, the neckline becomes a classic square shape, creating a slimmer neckline.


 
The runner up for the year is the Tinley Road Cutout Maxi.  This dress also makes a great long, maxi, black dress with a dramatic neckline - perfect for a hijab-adorning Muslim woman.
 
 


Casual black dresses:





Formal black dresses:






No comments: