July 28, 2013

Reader Request: Eid Evening Gowns

A friend invited me to an iftar night out - essentially, grabbing iftar at a halal-friendly eatery (in this case, the wonderfully satisfying Burger 7 where I had not one but TWO burgers to break my fast). Conversation got around to what and where we're finding Eid clothes. I generally look for Pakistani clothes, which either my mom or me will find at the 11th hour, but I embrace anyone who wears American clothes to celebrate - because being American is part of our identity, in addition to any ethnic or other cultural practices we have.

Back to clothes...one of the attendees, Yasmin, is looking for a sleeved evening gown, and is willing to put down up to $150 for a nice gown for Eid. She wears hijab and prefers not to have to jerry rig any gown to be modest, but will do it if needed. Additionally, she stated she's looking for more "muted" colors, but you guys know me - I live for sequins and embellishments.

I put my finders out there and came up with a few options for Yasmin (and you, if you're also looking for an Eid outfit!). What do you think? What will you be wearing this Eid?

Eid evening gowns