January 16, 2013

Work It Girls

Readers, you make me happy.

One of the top traffic sources leading you to us this week is "Muslim women workout clothes".  This means, in addition to fulfilling your new year's resolutions, that Muslim women aren't letting the industry-standard fitted workout clothing stand in their way.  One of the goals of Greater Lengths is to raise the voices of American Muslim women to the fitness apparel industry and make them aware that we want to be their consumers, they just need to give a little (literally...seams don't need to be that tight!).

Muslim women out there, like our friend Zainab Ismail, founder of Nadoona Fitness who we met at the 2012 ISNA Conference, encourage active living and exercise with modest dress.  Check her out - squatting and rowing 150 lbs! (Follow her on Instagram and find Nadoona on Facebook!)


I can also relate as a Muslim woman (and semi-fitness fanatic [I confessed to it already]) to the challenge of finding modest fitness apparel and being appropriately covered when I exercise.  I succeed here and there, as you can see. (In some honesty, I did want to post the picture of my abs!)


Looking to accomplish your own fitness and exercise goals?  There can be some obstacles in the way but certainly don't let modest clothing be one of them.  We've again culled some options for you as you make your way to the gym and live that healthy life!

These tops all have longer hemlines or are loose-fitting.  Layer them (especially in this cold!) to achieve the proper amount of coverage for you.


Modest dress pants

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is awesome! I usually get my workout clothes from victoriassecret.com They have awesome yoga clothing. I just buy their yoga pants and tops when they're clearanced and I usually pay about $20 for the pants and $30, at most, for yoga jackets/tops.

Farrah Khan said...

Nice! Those are great deals! How are Victoria's Secret clothing in terms of performance? I'm ver picky about having technical gear - once you go sweat-wicking, it's hard to go back to regular cotton.