October 7, 2013

Modest Marvel: Halima Ahmad

I've been corresponding with Halima Ahmed, our latest Modest Marvel, for almost the entire year.  I found her through the magic of Twitter around the start of this year, but between the two of us, we never managed to seal the deal on having her as a Modest Marvel.

However, neither of us gave up on each other, and so here she is - Halima Ahmed, our latest Modest Marvel!

Name: Halima Ahmad

Background: Halima is a 22-year old student from Atlanta, GA, in her final semester of undergrad.  Her graduation in December will bestow her with a bachelors in marketing and minor in Arabic.  She has a strong penchant for travelling and is looking to make that a part of her professional life after college.  "I’m obsessed with travelling and hope my future job allows me to do a lot of it!" she writes.

What we love about her style: Colors and texture are the quickest ways to my heart and Halima has plenty to spare.  She knows how to do it all - mix and match prints and textures with a range of tones, and always adds her best accessory to each look - her smile!

Halima at Coronado Island in San Diego, California
Your Favorite pieces: "Anyone who has ever met me knows I can’t live without my cheetah print scarves! I have at least three,"she writes.  She works these scarves with a variety of items in shades of maroon, baby pink, navy blue, olive, and tan - colors that work year round when mixed with other "seasonal colors."

About your style: With a varied routine, Halima's day to day style "depends on my mood or what I have going on that day!"  As a business student, she amps her look with business casual look wearing plenty of blazers.  "Other days, you’ll see me in anything from maxi skirts with heeled ankle boots, to striped sweaters with oxfords, to oversized shirts with some Converse or Vans."

What are you looking to achieve in an outfit?: As with many Muslim women, I want to show that you can have fun with fashion while still being modest. Wearing hijab makes you a walking exemplar of Islam, and I think it’s important to remember that in your wardrobe choices.


What makes an outfit?:  "Confidence is key!", says Halima, citing that confidence is the first thing that people will notice about a person.  More tangibly, she says her scarf is what pulls her outfit together, but then cheekily adds, "a rad lipstick never hurt anybody."

Ben Youssef Madrasa, Marrakesh, Morocco

Your no-limit gift card would be for: "It’s a tie between TJ Maxx and Bloomingdales!" [Editor's note: Isn't it always?!]

No comments: