May 28, 2014

It's Alive! Frankensteining My Graduation Dress (part 2)

A day or two before graduation, the comment still on my mind, I remembered a neutral-colored pleated chiffon maxi skirt from Urban Outfitters that I owned. I layered long and sleeveless tops all the time - why not a skirt with too short a hem? I liked the idea of the play on texture - the pleats peaking out from under the angular hemline. While I meant to test the look earlier in the week, I didn't actually try it until the day of graduation - and thankfully, the neutrals weren't too off the mark of each other to work.

The real trick came in ensuring the shoes would be fully visible. Worn at my waist, the maxi would have covered my shoes and lengthened the hemline - giving the dress more of a gown look. I wanted the skirt to fall right around the longest part of the hemline of the dress.


So I did what any normal person would do - I pinned the skirt to my bra.

I'd planned to go a little bold and wear the dress as is - loose and flowy a la the Olsen twins in their early style years - but as my brother commented, I looked like I was wearing a tent. A belt was in order and I found the PERFECT accent in a gold metal belt from Asos.



I'm VERY happy with the way it turned out. I felt like a hippie goddess with all the flowing sleeves and regal collars.