June 1, 2014

FAVORITE FINDS: Glamour, not "Beauty", Products

You know that sound a machine makes when it's changing directions? There are a lot of clicks, followed by some whirring and finally a solid locking sound to know that a new course has been set? I think that's happening in my life and I like it. I haven't yet heard that final sound, but who really does? You're too excited for all that's happening to really pay attention.

A few of the exciting things are known, but some are not and for those that are known, I need new makeup. Ha, I know, strange lead in to this post, amirite?

This post is a little bit (no, it's a lot) departure from my usual clothing posts because I've been looking at a lot of makeup lately. My family gets to celebrate a few special events coming up soon and I've decided it's time to refresh my makeup - the last time I did so was 3.5 years ago.

I do enjoy wearing makeup and I've received compliments when I've done my eye makeup, which is a high compliment to someone who can barely draw stick figures, let alone paint or draw. I don't wear makeup daily, just for special occasions (and place where there will be a lot of cameras) because those are the only times I think it's appropriate.

A PSA announcement to us all: you are beautiful as is and there is no need to have to paint your face daily to feel like "your best self" or a new version of you. There is no need to change up your look daily. Your best self is right there, on a day to day basis. Makeup is simply a good way to add some glamour - NOT BEAUTY - to your look and only if you want it.

So here are Farrah's Favorite Finds/Deep Desires in the makeup retail market these days. You'll notice it leans heavy on the eye shadow side (reference the above paragraphs) but lacks variety. That's because I'm in the market for new mascaras and liners (especially liquid!) and happily taking suggestions. That goes for lipsticks as well (a great nude pink would be welcome). Also, if anyone knows a thing or two about contouring, please help.

1. Eye shadow palettes

I tend to wear dramatic colors (aqua, deep purples) so it's hard for me to create softer looks. The Urban Decay Naked 3 palette has 12 shimmery, rosy hues for those events where I don't want all eyes on my eyes.

Urban Decay at ShopStyle

Urban Decay also has similar palettes, named Naked and Naked 2. To be quite honest, I want to own all of them, but am limiting myself to Naked 3 to start.

Urban Decay at ShopStyle
Urban Decay at ShopStyle
NakedNaked 2

How do you know which one to get? All three palettes promise a neutral experience but do highlight different skin tones. I can't do justice to the reviews so check them out here: http://goo.gl/fF0C8M

I'm also INCREDIBLY in love with this Yves Saint Laurent palette in my signature purple eyeshadow.

Yves Saint Laurent at ShopStyle

This one comes with an aubergine color that anchors a soft copper-infused peach, pink, and green accents. Love love LOVE. Not a fan of the price tag, but for someone who only buys makeup every 3-4 years, the price amortizes over time (how do you like that MBA speak?!).

A very special reader sent me the palette below as a graduation gift and I can't get enough of it. I'd never looked into Kat Von D's line but turns out she's got some really cool stuff.

undefined

This palette, called "Poetica", is an array of gothic and romantic colors that can be mixed and matched to create a myriad of looks. I love it because it's different than what I currently own and like the idea of being able to pull off some more Jessica Alba dark makeup looks.


2. Face makeup and tools

I've been having some progressive results with my latest skincare endeavor, using the Rodan + Fields Unblemish system for 3 weeks (today starts the fourth!).

Side conversation on that: My friend Kate recently started selling Rodan + Fields products after experience really noticeable results. She's someone who either LOVES something or HATES it and she LOVES R+F. The things she loves generally fall into my own loves, so I decided to take the plunge and start an R+F regiment. So far, so good. I can't say it's 100% better but it's only the 4th week. It's a bit pricey, I'll admit, but worth the trial if you can budget it in. Here's Kate's site and tell her Farrah/Greater Lengths sent you! https://kswalker.myrandf.com/

Investing in R+F is my insurance against the need to use foundation so this sponge falls into the one of those things I don't REALLY need but for hype, am considering the purchase.

Beautyblender at ShopStyle

The foundation I when I use foundation is Make Up For Ever High Definition Foundation, which I bought for a roughly $70 set from Sephora (okay, realized I bought this last year - so ONE new thing in 3 years). It came with primer, concealer, a kabuki brush, setting powder, and a full size bottle of foundation - a GREAT deal. Really, I did the cost comparison and it's a steal.

Make Up For Ever at ShopStyle
Sadly, the microfinish setting powder was a casualty of graduation recently - the bag containing it got lost between the ceremony and reception at the business school.

Not to say that expensive, high end foundations are the way to go.  I am a huge fan of L'Oreal's True Match foundation, which I may go back to after I use my current bottle of foundation. L'Oreal really has created a line of foundations for every skintone and one that provides natural coverage.

L'Oreal at ShopStyle

Continuing in the vein of face makeup, I've been hearing a lot about this Maybelline Dream Lumi highlighter and concealer. My friend Sabba commented on my Pinterest board that it's as good - or even better - than her Dior alternative. Considering it's around $8 without a coupon, it's a low-risk investment that may have major beauty payouts.
Maybelline at ShopStyle

When and if I end up getting this stuff, I'll try to keep you guys in the know. Let me know if you already own these things or end up getting them yourself!